I found a recipe for a Cookies and Cream Cupcake on AnniesEats.net and knew it would be perfect for Rylan’s birthday. To save myself a little time I used a box cake instead of making it from scratch, but still followed the icing recipe she used. They came out tasting incredible. Follow the simple steps below for a sweet treat!
Yield: 24 Cupcakes
For the cupcakes:
- 24 Oreo cookies halfed, with cream filling attached
- 1 box classic White Cake Mix (I used Duncan Hines)
- 3 egg whites
- 2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 1/3 Cups water
- 20 Oreo cookies, coarsely chopped
For the frosting:
- 8 oz. cream cheese, at room temperature
- 6 tbsp. unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 tbsp. vanilla extract
- 4 cups confectioners’ sugar, sifted
- 2 tbsp. heavy cream
- Oreo cookie crumbs, I crushed 12 of the halved Oreo cookies without the cream
- 24 Oreo cookie halves, or you can use the other 12 halved sides without the cream and break them in half.
- Preheat oven to 350* F
- Line cupcake pans with 24 cupcake liners.
- Place Oreo half with cream side face up in cupcake liner.
- Mix box cake as directed.
- Place coarsely chopped Oreo cookies into batter and stir.
- Evenly divide batter into prepared cupcake liners.
- Bake 18-20 minutes, until toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cool completely.
To make the frosting:
- Combine the butter and cream cheese in a medium sized bowl and beat at medium-high speed until smooth.
- Blend in vanilla extract.
- Beat in confectioners’ sugar until fully incorporated.
- Add heavy cream and beat on medium- low speed until almost incorporated. Then beat on medium-high speed for about 5 minutes or until fluffy.
You can either frost immediately or I covered the bowl with plastic wrap and placed in the fridge for a couple of hours. It came out a little more firm and was easier to decorate the cupcakes with! Check out some pictures below of this simple and delicious treat!